The subject for the "Mystic Tiger" is an Indian tiger named Axle at the Greensboro Natural Science Center. Almost floating in space, the tiger's side view is captured in mid-stride with only a hint of shadow in the foreground. The background was rendered to simulate the almost disembodied effect the animals inspire with their graceful movements when they stalk their territory. The emphasis on the form of the tiger and its stripes highlights the power and beauty of the animal. The tone of the tiger was a challenge to render naturally, with mainly earth colors instead of metallic, artificial pigments.
This Siberian tiger (Panthera tigris altaica) is a critically endangered species of tiger. Only approximately 500 of these tigers exist in the wild, mainly in the Russia Far East and neighboring China. These tigers, also known as Amur Tigers, are the largest of the six tiger subspecies and they are born to hunt their prey. Deforestation has taken away their natural habitats and the prey available to them, but poaching and illegal hunting has also been largely responsible for their demise. Axl, pictured here, and his mate Kisa, were actually bought by someone as pets, and they were donated to the Natural Science Center in Greensboro, North Carolina.
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the paper, not the printed images. There is a 2’’ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Framing Available. Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 40.0" x 30.0"
Need some help? One of our friendly Personal Curators can answer all of your questions. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.