The Weight of Light
Piece description from the artist
Many of my paintings have been inspired by the Belgian master surrealist, Rene Magritte. Magritte had a number of paintings featuring objects that he depicted as being made of stone and also liked to combine day and night into a single visual. While listening to Elton John's "Candle in the Wind" song, I got to thinking about a candle as the key visual of a painting and decided to try and create a candle and candle holder that were made of stone. Originally, I was going to call this painting, "The Eternal Flame". But when reminded that was the name of the candle that burns at JFK's grave, I decided to opt for something different. We had a great discussion about whether the candle should be reflecting in the window. The thought was that the light from the moon was so bright that it cancelled the effects of the brightness of the candle on the other side of the window. I had also considered the phrase, "We'll leave a light on for you", awaiting someone's return. So I considered calling it "The Wait of Light" but ultimately, settled on this title. Whatever you call it, I think it's a striking image, especially when seen in person due to its large size. I hope you like it!
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 36.0" x 48.0"
- Acrylic on Canvas
Need some help? One of our friendly Personal Curators can answer all of your questions. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.