Shimmer (Tortured Survivor)
This work began on a bright late spring day when the light sparkled with fresh rain and the tree was deep dark wet. My red truck is in the background, far right. I have been chronicling this amazing tree for several years now. It is 6’ across at 3’ above ground yet only 11’’ thick. The tree is a sugar maple that, as near as the farmer and I have been able to ascertain, is roughly 300 years old. The farmer/property owner, in his mid 80’s, told me that his family bought this piece of ground when he was a young boy. He related this story; “The old guy who sold the property was retiring to move to town. He told my dad that the tree was in front of their homestead cabin, and it was big back then. The tree got just about cut in half by lightning during a big storm while he was just a boy.” (That would have been sometime before the Civil War.) The tree is on top of a high rolling ridge that has caught many a summer storm, tornadoes, ice storms, and heavy wet snows which are a regular occurrence in winter. Cattle use it as a scratching post, lay under it for shade, and the local dominate buck scars it up every fall. Tortured and twisted by time, weather and animals… it survives.
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the paper, not the printed images. There is a 2’’ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Framing Available. Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 20.0" x 33.0"
- Oil & encaustic on mahogany panel
Need some help? One of our friendly Personal Curators can answer all of your questions. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.