Rhapsody on the Sea
Piece description from the artist
Rhapsody on the Sea incorporates the information gleaned from several studio experiments with acrylics, acrylic media, and media that mix well with acrylic. The earlier studio experiments suggested some new ideas to try and incorporate.
In other works extruded transparent and translucent media were layered over and under liquid media of varying transparency, translucency and tint. This approach creates a transparent paint film with a tangible depth. Ghostly textures can be incorporated into the transparent film by layering extruded heavy gels under the more liquid media. Marbled effects are achieved by tinting liquid media. Combinations of metallic paint, powder and foil create active metallic areas with a lot of movement.
These ideas are all incorporated into Rhapsody on the Sea, creating an abstracted seascape that is textured, turbulent, full of soft detail down to the microscopic level, active and changeable.
New ideas are incorporated as well.
Areas of the “sand” were built up using large flat mica flakes mixed with soft gel medium. The flat mica flakes naturally form irregular stacks and they have a soft almost metallic sheen. When combined with the metallic foil gilt and painted surface of the shore line in Rhapsody, they create interesting textural contrasts. Gilding with foil on top of portions of the mica stacks helps integrate the metallic and mica textures and keeps the light moving.
Silver foil was applied on top of rake textured gesso in areas of the sea. Blue tones representing water were added in layers of tinted and textured liquid and gel media. Silver colored metal leaf was incorporated in areas in between the transparent blue layers. The wrinkling and high reflectivity of the metal leaf reflects light and casts it into the paint film, creating a subtle water-like shimmer in places.
Shellac inks were added to change the mixing behavior in layers of color where marbled effects were engineered in. Glass beads were used as both texture elements (flow manipulators) and as light reflectors.
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 48.0" x 36.0"
- mixed media, acrylic paint and gel media, ink, mica, metal foil and glass
Need some help? One of our friendly Personal Curators can answer all of your questions. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.