Piece description from the artist
A number of paintings in this exhibition have captured these places that are now gone. One in particular is the Phun Factory in Queens, New York. The building was one of my favorite places in Long Island City and of Hunters Point. For decades, the former factory was hailed as the center of street art or at least certainly one of its strongest facilitators. The building itself is not architecturally significant, but was home to many graffiti artists and their studios. It was great to be in that area in the early nineties to see how the building was tagged. I documented it on many occasions and at different times of the day to see the attitude change from the natural light as well as the effects against the graffiti. The two paintings in the show reflect that attitude and reveal the character of the structure from two very different perspectives.
The painting, “Phun Factory” brings the viewer onto the structure itself. Seeing the windows open reveal the constant aerosol fumes in the air as well as the summer heat baking the building like an incinerator. Anyone who understands this has endured the suffocating summers of a city, especially during late July and August. It also reveals a number of different tags on the canvas of the building that is the intriguing part.
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 38.0" x 22.0"
- Oil on Canvas
Need some help? One of our friendly Personal Curators can answer all of your questions. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.