Launching a Nation
Commerce on the James River during the early days of this great nation was a challenge for some and an adventure for others. Flat-bottomed boats, or "bateau" as they are known, were a common sight along the James River from the Chesapeake to Lynchburg and all points in between. Measuring from about 40 to 60 feet in length and about 7 feet wide, the batteau were used to haul cargo including hogs, tobacco, and passengers.
The batteau were maneuvered gently down river through the waters of the James River and "walked" upstream by the crew who stood on the outer boards and sank their poles into the bottom of the river. Once in position, the crew would face backwards and "walk" in place while the batteau moved forward beneath them. Once the rear of the batteau's stern reached the crew member, he or she would walk up the middle of the batteau towards the bow and start the process all over. Tedious and tiresome, the method was an effective way to reach your destination. 'Launching a Nation' exemplifies the lifestyles of those who ventured onto the highways of early travel by river.
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the paper, not the printed images. There is a 2’’ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Framing Available. Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 40.0" x 30.0"
- Oil on Canvas
Unfortunately, the original of this work is not available. However, one of our friendly Personal Curators can reach out to the artist to see if they’d be interested in a commission. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.