Piece description from the artist
Hope is a sunrise treescape made with acrylic paint and media, stiffened paper and string, along with acrylic based texture gel (coarse oxide powder embedded in clear acrylic). It is one of the works in my second series of Tree of Life Paintings.
The title refers to the mood created by a time of day often called the "Magic Hour" – right around dawn or dusk, when soft light seems to suffuse the sky. The light coming from all over the sky softens all of the features on the ground, making them seem somehow magical. When I was young I would love this time of day because it seemed like anything was possible in that soft crepuscular light. That feeling of dawning possibilities, of the reality of change and of an imminent reset, is a powerful expression of Hope.
One of my favorite features of this painting is the complex leafing pattern that also captures some of the colors of the light in the painted background. Choosing the right colors and types of string and paper and then sculpting them into place just right to harmonize the light in painting was a challenge. I believe it was well worth the attention and effort – I personally love the colors in this one.
The paper and string features were sculpted using Golden's GAC400 medium to stiffen and fix them into place. There is a barrier layer that matches the reflectivity of the background – acrylic soft gel and matte medium underneath a final varnish layer for UV protection. The barrier layer and varnish provide moisture resistance, structural strength and stability and archival protection for the piece. If restoration or cleaning ever becomes necessary, the outer varnish can be removed with alcohol by a professional restorer. This will not affect the underlying paint and paper (because of the barrier layer).
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 18.0" x 24.0"
- acrylic on birch wood panel with stiffened paper and string
Unfortunately, the original of this work is not available. However, one of our friendly Personal Curators can reach out to the artist to see if they’d be interested in a commission. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.