The cherry blossom has been a symbol of so much, to so many, for thousands of years. For me, painting this recognizable form allows a degree of freedom in expression, in that each viewer recognizes it subjectively. The use of a classical oriental style allows an emphasis on the negative space, which compliments the subtle features of the colors blending in the blossoms and tree bark. These affects are done aleatorically, which is to say that I let the paint mix on its own using high medium-pigment ratios.
The dark, burn patterns are done with high-voltage electricity, which creates fractal patterns in the corrugated fiberboard. This is a natural phenomenon where "Lichtenberg Figures" are produced as a result of high-voltage electrocution. Each painting is done in gouache so that when I perform the electrocution process I can spray the painting with a saltwater solution, causing the gouache to reconstitute, thus becoming the conductive medium through which the electricity passes.
Because the electrocution process can make the cardboard warped and frail, the painting has been fixed to wood— its sides sealed with an acrylic/silicone mixture— and coated with an archival varnish. This will preserve the gouache paint, and ensure that the painting will remain in good condition.
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the paper, not the printed images. There is a 2’’ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Framing Available. Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 20.0" x 30.0"
- Gouache and High-voltage electricity on Cardboard
Unfortunately, the original of this work is not available. However, one of our friendly Personal Curators can reach out to the artist to see if they’d be interested in a commission. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.