Density of States
Piece description from the artist
A chemical physics themed mixed media painting. Density of states refers to the number of energy levels available to delocalized electrons. In molecules, metals have more electrons and organometallic compounds have a higher density of states than light element organic compounds. In Materials Science, metallically bonded solids have a high density of states and are typically conductive, but nanoparticles of the same composition are often only semiconductive because there aren't enough electrons and density of states for good cunduction.
Abstracted kekulke diagrams of everal organometallic molecules and one nanoparticle (3-D, not kekulke) are depicted in relief using a pastry bag extrusion to create fanciful textures and emphasis on important atoms. Regions of high electron delocalization are gilded, and transition metals are truly sparkly. The background features raised jagged lines in patterns typical of density of states diagrams in Chemical Physics and Molecular Quantum Mechanics, and bits and pieces of density functional integrals are scattered throughout.
I have known a large number of chemists, and I habe seen how they pursue the synthesis of difficult, complex "cool functional" molecules. Since these molecules can be like tiny holy grails, it only makes sense to add gold gilding on the phenyl rings and other areas of high electron delocalization. Also – the metallic mirror shine is a direct result of conductivity, density of states, and electron delocalization.
Perfect big occasion gift for a chemist, decor for areas near where the chemists are located at work, office decor for a chemistry professor or group leader, or for any person or entity working in nanotechnology, supramolecular chemistry, molecular catalysis, organometallic chemistry, or chemical physics. I will provide a higher resolution file as soon as I've cleaned one.
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 40.0" x 36.0"
- oil over Acrylic with mixed media on canvas
Need some help? One of our friendly Personal Curators can answer all of your questions. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.