Abstract Hortus IX
Piece description from the artist
The interplay between abstraction and representation frequently surfaces in my work. Depicting an object in a new manner, or from a different perspective, such that it ceases to be itself and instead takes on a new form, is a type of alchemy. The finest examples are those that straddle the fine line between abstraction and representation in such a way that a small change, perhaps just a brushstroke, moves the image across the boundary from one to the other. Often I enjoy examining an everyday object in very close proximity, and appreciate the fine patterns or forms contained within it- the veins in a leaf, the meniscus around a floating plant. Other worlds full of mysteries and depth, but so easily overlooked. They are a large part of my appreciation of the natural world in my urban environment, reminding me that my own habitat, as familiar as it seems, is full of the exotic and the unknown.
I am influenced by the processes of nature while I create my paintings. Using glazes and gel media, I build an image in layers, each one influenced by those that came before it. Underpainting is sometimes exposed, and I am reminded of the wounds on an old tree, or the scars where topsoil has slid down a hillside, exposing a bit of history for anyone who cares to observe it. I think about far-away coral reefs and familiar forests, built through natural cycles of growth and decay, layer upon layer, the patterns and forms of the living directly descending from the older layers beneath them.
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 36.0" x 24.0"
- Acrylic on canvas
Need some help? One of our friendly Personal Curators can answer all of your questions. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.