The Sea is one of three classical figures sculpted into the Samuel Francis Memorial Fountain situated in the center of Dupont Circle in Washington, D.C. Here, the stone figure comes to life as she stands on high, safe in her own shelter and cradling a sea vessel while gazing out over the ocean. The blue of the water and white light from the reflecting moon illuminate her from below. The gull on her shoulder reacts to the shock of the morning sky, which alludes to the old mariners’ adage, “red sky at night, sailors delight; red sky in morning, sailors take warning.” The artist passes this fountain daily and wanted to free the figure from the shaft of the fountain and give her life without compromising the original sculptor’s integrity. While faithfully representing the original design of the white marble sculpture, the artist contributes to the story of The Sea with color and composition.
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 40.0" x 30.0"
- Acrylic on canvas
Need some help? One of our friendly Personal Curators can answer all of your questions. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.