The Pacific #5
Piece description from the artist
This series was inspired on my visits to Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, Carmel, California (Monterey County) in the spring of 2012. Called the “The greatest meeting of land and water in the world” by landscape artist Francis McComas. Artist such as photographers Edward Weston, Ansel Adams and Minor White would make regular trips to Point Lobos.
My abstract approach is built up with heavy layers upon layers forming a textural painting to express the grandeur of this landscape. The powerful forces of nature, dynamic change, raging sea against rocks, beach deposits, land slide debris, quartz dikes, vein-filled cracks, crisscross rocks, kelp, remains of abalone and sea urchins from this magical setting.
Inspired by Jackson Pollock working of canvas horizontal on the floor, I am caught in a subconscious state, expressing and harnessing the power of Point Lobos, this unconsciousness is a force that can be recognized by its effects and expression on the canvas.
The timeframe to produce one painting takes between four to seven days. The build up of layers is gradual, upon nearing completion the canvas is oil painted, once dry, a final glaze is applied to the painting held vertical.
The dark gray-black color was selected due to its absorption properties and the western worldview of its association with magic, secrets and elegance, the perfect combination to showcase my exploration of “The greatest meeting of land and water in the world”.
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 48.0" x 36.0"
- Oil on Canvas
Need some help? One of our friendly Personal Curators can answer all of your questions. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.