The Buzzard's Prize
Piece description from the artist
Alternative Title: "A Bird Named Hamlet"
A Huge American Black Vulture stands proudly upon a rock resting in a grassy field. It is late fall the and grass has turned a golden yellowish-brown. Behind the vulture sits a leafless bush, framing the bird's black body. Hazy hills can be seen in the distance lying under a blue sky filled with puffy white clouds. An old weathered human skull rests on the rock before the vulture, and he puts his claw upon it like a conquering hero. He says aloud: "Alas, poor Yorick! He tasted good."
Here in North Georgia, I used to never see vultures. Rather, crows seemed to fill their niche at devouring dead animals. But over the past few years I've spotted black vultures more and more alongside the road. For this artwork, I just wanted to really do a simple portrait of a one such buzzard (note that, in America, the terms "Buzzard" and "Vulture" are synonymous). Despite their lowly reputations, they can be quite smart and are a very useful bird (at least, at cleaning up the road kill, that is). They do, at times, tend to be a bit clumsy though, and can be loads of fun to watch.
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 45.0" x 60.0"
Unfortunately, the original of this work is not available. However, one of our friendly Personal Curators can reach out to the artist to see if they’d be interested in a commission. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.