Prospect Park Waterfall
Piece description from the artist
I painted this one day while watching many folks come look at and play in the waterfall. They seemed to transfer their enthusiasm to each successive group through the large rock in the center. The rock is perhaps the only aspect that is historically the same as the original park design. The bridge and the waterfall have been reconstructed several times over. This brings up interesting questions of what is original and what is a replica?
Like many of my paintings, the location of the viewer is ambiguous; perhaps we are standing actually in the waterfall. I purposely employ these compositional tricks to slightly knock the viewer off balance or simply question what it is they are looking at.
My nephew was watching the smurfs movie and suddenly exclaimed "Uncle, look! Your painting!" — he had spotted this waterfall in the movie. It was the portal that brought the Smurfs to New York… except the waterfall was depicted as being in Central Park in the movie!
So many of our landscapes are stand-ins, referencing other places and periods in history.
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 12.0" x 12.0"
- oil on canvas
Unfortunately, the original of this work is not available. However, one of our friendly Personal Curators can reach out to the artist to see if they’d be interested in a commission. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.