Piece description from the artist
As some of nature’s most varied and quietly spectacular output, flowers, as well as other perhaps more mundane, but no less interesting, bits of the plant world, provide endless detail and visual intrigue. The closer he gets, the more amazed he is. He’s constantly surprised at the unexpected—be it the point of view or the specimen itself. As with most natural photography, this is more discovery than invention.
Focusing on these subjects, in extreme close up, reveals incredible details. Some of these revelations are surprising if not downright astonishing. Many seem foreign, even other-worldly. However, the nature of this world at this level is truly spectacular. And seeing this is a revelation for me as it is for most people.
I try to capture and convey more than just botanical minutiae; he also appreciate the graphic form and structure. Gesture and a sense of life or movement, are also qualities that he finds, which can allow the subject some personality, attitude, and most of all character. This work is more akin to portraiture than still life.
Aging gracefully is a recurring theme in many of these images as well. The perfect flower, in all its perky glamour, is stunning. However, a flower or some other bit of flora past its prime, is yet another state of grace. The elegance of decay and the transformation of age are what intrigue him the most.
These images are captured at a very high resolution that provides not only incredible detail but astonishing color and depth. The lighting is very soft and is elegant in its simplicity and focus—that which is closest to us is both brighter and sharper which heightens the sense of depth.
And the sense of life.
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 24.0" x 20.0"
Need some help? One of our friendly Personal Curators can answer all of your questions. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.