Old Growth - Tree of Life 2
Piece description from the artist
Tree of life motifs are often used as symbols for diversity and the resilience of interconnected systems. Trees themselves mirror these properties. We’re only beginning to recognize the importance of old growth trees and forests in rooting the entire forest ecosystem. Older trees have an impact that newly planted replacements will not attain for decades – sometimes centuries. As deforestation and even forest management have allowed the loss of these trees, the warp and weft of the forests ecological fabric is weakened and threatens to unravel.
The tree in this mixed media painting is fairly literal. The use of white creates a negative space. The soft ghostly outer limbs of the tree combine with the negative space to create an impression of absence, fading. At the same time, plaster soaked textile media create a substantive trunk, suggesting an anchor point.
Sculpted plaster cloth forms the raised areas. Coiled string was added for detailed texture, and to create a transition between the trunk and smaller branches.
Marbelized pools and softly raised textures were created by pouring liquid and gel media and striping color through the wet media. Splashes of water and a little gravity helped get the colors to move and intertwine.
String gel swung into wet media was used to create the soft linear patterns
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 48.0" x 48.0"
- mixed on canvas (acrylic, plaster, gauze, hemp string)
Unfortunately, the original of this work is not available. However, one of our friendly Personal Curators can reach out to the artist to see if they’d be interested in a commission. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.