Maid of the Mist
Piece description from the artist
An American Indian woman stands in a canoe and turns to look nervously back as if someone may be following her. She holds the a paddle in her hand as she peers back into the forest through which the creek she travels on runs its course. A dense fog enshrouds the forest, mists that obscure the world around her.
This image is based on the Native American legend of Lelawala, the Maid of the Mists. In the Iroquois story, Lelawala is forced to marry a king that she does not like. Rather, she is in love with the Thunder God He-No who lives in a cave behind the Horseshoe falls (part of Niagara Falls). She escapes her husband and paddles away on a canoe and over the falls where He-Na catches her so that their spirits could live together beneath the falls.
I've taken a bit of artistic license and depicted her travelling down a small creek. The Niagara river is actually quite wide. However, I wanted something more in the composition other than just water and sky. Perhaps this is the beginning of her escape and she is starting on a small tributary of the river.
While I based this on the story of Lela Wala, I actually was inspired to make this after watching the movie "Mr. Turner" about the famed English painter J.M.W. Turner. I liked the way he combined light with fog and atmosphere. It made me want to create an image where the atmosphere dominated the scene.
I made this artwork using digital rendering (CGI) techniques as well as digital painting techniques.
Thanks for looking!
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 40.5" x 72.0"
Unfortunately, the original of this work is not available. However, one of our friendly Personal Curators can reach out to the artist to see if they’d be interested in a commission. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.