Piece description from the artist
It's as if the sea itself has become enraged at the crew of an unfortunate boat. A massive sea creature from the depths, a gigantic sperm whale, dwarfing the wooden vessel with its great size, pursues the sailing ship. The seas churn and the violent waves threaten to smash it. All the while, a violent storm rolls across the sky chasing them as it forks lightning from black clouds into the water.
I started this scene some time ago. I had sculpted the whale for one of my video tutorials (https://youtu.be/Rv3JrW04o0Q), and I wanted to use it an another scene. After rendering it though, I let it sit for about 8 months unfinished. I was actually about to cull it from my hard drive, but decided to give it a second chance. After painting in the storm and churning seas as well as touching up the whale and ship, I was pleasantly surprised with the results.
The idea was inspired a bit when I saw a trailer of "Heart of the Sea" a movie about the events that inspired "Moby Dick". I actually still haven't actually seen the movie itself, though I'm planning taking my wife on a date to see it this weekend.
I created this scene using digital sculpting and painting applications.
Thanks for looking,
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 60.0" x 33.75"
Unfortunately, the original of this work is not available. However, one of our friendly Personal Curators can reach out to the artist to see if they’d be interested in a commission. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.