Piece description from the artist
This original oil painting by artist Christopher Clark is of the giant blue horse statue outside the Denver International Airport (DIA). The locals seem to have a love-hate relationship with the aptly nicknamed "Blucifer" statue: some love it, and some hate it. It seems that the Denver residents who lived here long before the statue was installed are the ones who dislike it the most, and the newer arrivals enjoy it a bit more. It seems it would bring to mind the city's obsession with the local NFL team the Denver Broncos, but the glowing red eyes and general demonic disposition of this fellow leave one feeling a tad perplexed. Regardless of the mixed feelings on this eery blue bronco, it has become an icon of Denver, being one of the first sights to welcome visitors at the DIA.
If the statue isn't strange enough, the history of it makes it even moreso. While still being created, a section of the bloodthirsty bronco actually fell on and killed its artist, Luis Jiménez, severing an artery in his leg. His sons finished the sculpture and it was successfully installed in 2008 to mixed reviews. Many Denver residents have even petitioned to have it removed, but it's unlikely that Blucifer will be going away any time soon.
As part of my journey capturing the beautiful city of Denver in oil paint, I felt it necessary to include this astonishing icon as well. Though I have to admit, strangely, that while painting this intimidating and beautiful beast, at one point the canvas came loose from the easel and… fell on me. I escaped with just a little paint on my arm and I lived to tell the tale, but it's apparent that the spirit of the Blue Bronco reaches far and wide.
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 31.0" x 43.0"
- Oil on canvas
Need some help? One of our friendly Personal Curators can answer all of your questions. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.