Piece description from the artist
This American Elm is stunning in all seasons. I painted it in early spring. I was trying to capture a sense of an enormous tree enveloping the viewer from above. This painting is on a relatively smaller canvas.
American Elms used to be numerous in the American landscape, before Dutch Elm disease decimated the populations. Dutch Elm disease is a fungus that reportedly came over with a shipment of lumber from Europe. It is fatal for an American Elm, usually killing the tree in a single season. The first documented case in the United States was in 1930. One estimate states that 77 million American Elms died by 1970. This is a staggering figure, changing our notion of the American landscape forever.
This tree in Prospect Park is a relic of sorts, likely to become an increasingly rare site in the future. This summer, in 2017, I spoke with some park rangers who were inoculating a few elm trees as a protective measure. Dutch Elm disease had killed several trees in the southern area of the park. Let's hope their efforts at containment are successful.
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 16.0" x 12.0"
- oil on canvas
Unfortunately, the original of this work is not available. However, one of our friendly Personal Curators can reach out to the artist to see if they’d be interested in a commission. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.