The Writer's Muse
Piece description from the artist
Drawing the human body is a constant source of inspiration for Hana Shoup’s art. Using this process of printmaking, she repeats the image of an ancient torso, alters each one to make it unique, and presents it as a timeless form.
“Each of these works on paper is a one-of-a kind print using the process called etching. First, I draw my image with my sharp tools onto a metal plate, which I previously covered with gum Arabic, an acid-resisting layer. Then I submerge the plate in an acid bath. The acid eats (or “etches”) the areas on the plate I uncovered. The stronger the acid, the deeper and darker the lines of the image. I repeat these steps until I am satisfied with my image. After this I polish areas on the plate with a burnishing tool to smooth texture and bumps, so some areas will print more lightly. I then scrape ink onto the plate, gently wiping away the highlights with old newspaper. Next I move to the bed of the roller press. I sandwich the inked plate between dampened, %100 cotton rag paper, and a protective square of felt and turn the wheel on the press. The press bed rolls the plate under massive pressure to impart the ink into the paper. At this point, I can use the plate to repeat this process and make another print with the same image.”
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 8.0" x 10.0"
Unfortunately, the original of this work is not available. However, one of our friendly Personal Curators can reach out to the artist to see if they’d be interested in a commission. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.