The Baltimoreans (Edgar Allan Poe + John Waters)
Piece description from the artist
‘Pop Hybrids’ are about, among other things, reduction: the reduction of personality into logo, the reduction of individuality into the collective, the reduction of photography into design. They are a subtraction of images: the recycling, re-using and reducing of two or more images into one iconographic collection of shapes.
This mesmeric series of work deals with popular iconography, ironic duality and satirical juxtapositions. By portraying famous and infamous cultural icons inter-layered with one another, these highly lustrous, visually arresting pieces challenge the viewer to decipher the image while making the sardonic, metaphorical and sometimes philosophical connections within.
The series began as meticulously hand-painted acrylic on canvas pieces, which were then sealed in a mirror-finish resin coating. When people began falling for specific paintings that had already found homes, I decided that the logical next step in allowing me to make the work more widely available would be to make the work as "original limited editions", each design in a numbered edition of 5 or 10, depending on the size. I now create the imagery digitally, print the image on metallic photo paper, mount the print to panel, and finish the pieces with my hand by applying the final touch – a smooth as glass resin coating.
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 36.0" x 36.0"
- metallic c-print and resin on panel
Need some help? One of our friendly Personal Curators can answer all of your questions. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.