Piece description from the artist
The "Blythmoor", a 6582 GT cargo vessel launched in 1922 by the Wm. Doxford / Pallion Shipyard at Newcastle-upon-Tyne, was initially under control of the Moor Line Ltd. She was eventually turned over to and managed by the W. Runciman & Co. shipping firm.
In late March of 1940, "Blythmoor" departed the UK for Norway. On April 10 she and 13 other merchantmen from Europe were trapped in the port of Narvik when the German destroyer, "Roeder" approached and opened fire. The British escort vessels, "Hotspur" and "Hostile" returned fire while the merchantmen tried to flee the fjiord, running for their lives! "Blythmoor" was not so lucky being hit by an errant British torpedo. She went to the bottom along with six of her crew.
"Blythmoor" is depicted here years earlier and during less turbulent times upon a marine railway in the US. The "Chief" has ordered steam up in the boilers while a tug waits patiently for her launching back into active service.
More About This Print
- Our high-quality giclee prints are produced on a proprietary material carefully selected for its ability to display rich, vibrant colors, capture subtle detail, and remain crinkle-free. Limited Edition of 100.
- The giclee print sizes shown here measure the outer dimensions of the frame, not the print. There is a 2″ border around the image on each print for matting and framing.
- Our minimal, black frames are made of a natural, recycled material that won’t warp or dent like solid wood. Each frame comes with a custom 4 ply, white mat.
More About This Print
- Each canvas print is gallery-wrapped and stretched on 1.5’’ stretcher bars with a semi-gloss finish. Limited Edition of 100.
- The print sizes quoted above measure the outer dimensions of the stretched canvas print and the printed image spans the full dimensions quoted.
- Framing currently unavailable. All canvases are printed with mirror imaging along the 1.5’’ stretcher profile for a polished, unframed display.
Buy original artwork and support today's working artists.
- 22.0" x 30.0"
- Watercolor on Strathmoor 300LB WC paper
Need some help? One of our friendly Personal Curators can answer all of your questions. Get in touch.
TurningArt members enjoy fresh art at home for less than the cost of going to a movie each month.